Sir William Laxton died on the night of the 27th July 1556 and he had decreed in his will that a new school be founded in Oundle for the local boys to attend and that the school was to be maintained by the Worshipful Company of Grocers. The new School was founded in 1556 under the name of Laxton Grammar School.
Laxton Grammar school was to prosper and its size and reputation continued to grow throughout the centuries. By the mid nineteenth century many of the schools pupils were being sent from across the country to receive their education in Oundle. In 1876 the Worshipful Company of Grocers made the decision to divide the school into two, Oundle Grammar School and Laxton Grammar school. Laxton Grammar School would continue to educate boys from Oundle and the local area while Oundle Grammar School was to accept boys of well to do gentlemen from further afield.
F W Sanderson in his thirty year role of headmaster at Oundle School introduced boarding at the school and the school’s size and reputation continued to grow rising to prominence as a premiere English Public School. Oundle school remained a boys’ only school until as recently as 1990 when the first girls were admitted and the school became a co-educational school. Another major decision was taken in the year 2000 which was to recombine Laxton Grammar and Oundle Grammar as a single educational establishment under the common name of Oundle School.
Universitas Swasta di Bandung Oundle school has continued to grow in size and status to become the third largest independent boarding school in the UK behind only Eton and Millfield. It has become a major employer in the area and an integral part of the town of Oundle and the day to day goings on in the town. Currently in the region of 1200 students aged from eleven to eighteen are educated at Oundle school.
The School has many buildings of architectural interest that are spread around the town of Oundle these include eight boys boarding houses as listed below:
Fisher House which was founded in 1869,
Sydney House which was founded in 1882,
School House which was founded in 1887,
Grafton House which was founded in 1902
Crosby House which was founded in 1907,
Bramston House which was founded in 1916,
Laundimer House which was founded in 1916,
ST Anthony House which was founded in 1928.
There are five girls boarding houses as listed below:
New House which was founded in 1907 and converted to a girls house in 1990,
Dryden House which was founded in 1938 and converted to a girls house in 1993,
Sanderson House which was founded in 1938 and converted to a girls house in 2000,
Kirkby House which was founded in 1990,
Wyatt House which was founded in 1990.
Along with a juniors only house named the Berrystead and a day pupils only house named Laxton (formally Laxton Grammar School) Oundle School now consists of fifteen houses spread throughout the small market town of Oundle. Konseling Online Add to this its own Chapel, theatre, grand hall, sports and swimming facility, library, sci tec, art gallery, music and language buildings and the fact that the school has its own radio station then you will begin to get a picture of the size and importance of the school.